Monday 15 April 2013

Week 6 Independent Study



Listening to the presentation that 3rd Contact made today.
I have realized that our team is lucking organization and planning although we have mad a back brief.There was no indication of anyone following it, perhaps because we do not have a clear picture of what we what to achieve and how to do it.

So I have decided to create a diagram of our work flow by using critical path analysis, which can be used for the presentation in Crysis3.

The team member of 3rd construct have a clear individual tasks so that the whole member seems to know there the works were produced, it would be beneficial that, each week we work on the task with the clear the procedure and enough sources of information such as size of each component following the Australian standard, the images of the details and joineries and textures that we are using.

I have been uploading a large amount of work and information but they were not in particular order for my team member to be able to use efficiently.

Also, If we can have a check list of what need to be done in each stages with the finished schedule, each time the works been done people can check the list and pick the next possible part of work need to be done.

I did some planning as follows:


Cleaning up the SketchUp model:

I have excluded the details that we don't need. Previously, I placed the model in groups in order to upload them in Crysis3, so I created components for the each parts and placed them under the different layers with the number of the each bubbles from the critical analysis, and sat the axes at one corner of the building so that we can lock all of the components into 1 building in Crysis3.
I also duplicated a folder into 3 for the each structural stages, and locked all of unused components for the particulate stages.
We can work on 3 separated files, which would make easier for us to indicate which part of the model needs to be amended, if we have a problem during the transformation between SketchUp and Crysis.




Organizing Wiki:

Created the link to Situation Engines on our Wiki and asked everyone to install Crysis 3.
Placed our back brief on the homepage so it would be a reminder of our objective and goal.
Created pages for each week with the each weeks tasks.
Edited the previous pages for people to be able to read easier.


Dividing the construction stages into 3:
  1. Foundation stage:  foundation, concrete footings and brick work at the excavated level.
  2. Framing stage: walls floors, roofs (carpenters work) and stairs
  3. Completion stage: Insulation, roof cover, upper level external brick skin and handrails, interior linings, plumbing   completion, tiling, lighting and cleaning

Creating better critical path analysis:

I have created one previously at very early stage of the project by following "Building your own home" by George Wiki republished in 2003, which we never used but I thought that it would be useful to us if I reproduce it in better detail. Since I have divided the project into 3 stages, I created an analyses for each stages in flowgraph format.
There would be a clearer picture of what needs to be done next to the team member and collaboration could be made easier.

It could be ideal to complete most of the work including flowgraph  in Crysis3 for the stage 1 first, we will have a experience of creating the interactivity with the simpler model, then move onto the stage 2, in the main time another team members can work on finalizing the sketch up model d for stage 2 and 3.
The analysis that I followed form "Building your own home".

The first critical path analysis I made in week 3.


New analysis: Stage 1 -  Analysis flowgraph 

Stage 2 -  Analysis flowgraph 

Stage 3 - Analysis flowgraph 



Creating a check list:

I listed all of the components needed in our building, differentiated the existing models and one to be done by colour I considered that we will need to collaborate well to avoid using too many textures, which would loose the clarity of the model visually and to be time efficient, so  I named some components the same.

Check list for the stage 1 and 2 


Providing information about our presentation scheme examples:

Further to the discussion we had with Steve and objective of our brief. We can create the interactivity in Crysis3 showing the process of the construction and what happens in the particular stages.
I corrected some information about the stage 1 and uploaded some links to the videos.
One of them was explaining the way concrete slabs were constructed very clearly.

Home Building 3 - How to Build a house! Concrete Slab Const

Providing information about Crysis3:

To go to the next stage I thought that we all needed to be familiarized Crysis since none of us has used the new version of Crysis yet.
I have uploaded some useful links to it as well as creating the link to Situation Engine under the menu, asked my team member to try using it and I had go at it myself.




Providing too many information could cause the confusion so I tried to keep it as simple as possible, which could be time effective.
I found that the web site from ARCH 1011 would be the easiest people(or me) to follow since we all have done the course and followed the same pattern of the video tutorials previously.

http://russelllowe.com/arch1101_2013/experiment2/reference/week_01.html

And I uploaded them on wiki under Week 5, contacted my team members asking if it is feasible and amended that part that can be improved. Also I made the list of what should be done this week's independent study with some information for them on wiki.


Modelling:

In addition to above I worked on modelling further.
I combined the components that the team members created, which are windows, doors, a floor slab and a timber stud wall.

Imported models from other team members, before combining them.



As we discussed in the meeting during the mid-semester break. We want to use the wall type that is suitable for the excavation. We have decided to use double brick wall on the ground floor and timber stud all or brick veneer for upper floor.
So I finalized the wall type and made necessarily adjustments in SketchUp.

Double brick wall lower level. 

Double brick wall at the lower level

External view 


To follow the original model in Revit. I have used the double brick wall on the lower level, used the double brick wall, created the external timber stud wall with the weather boards the timber studs needed to be lined up too the outside of the brick wall, so I brought the floor joists and timber framing out to the external wall, joists are supported by the internal skin of the double brick wall and kind of cantilevered out above the external brick skin.

 Section view showing the timber wall and the brick veneer wall.



Since I have completed modelling the main structure of the building, supposedly the next stage for our team is to start uploading those into Crysis3 and test them to see if everything work or not.
So, I tried uploading our Sketch up model into Crysis3. The new version seems to be much easier to work with than the previous version. The new version of "PlayUp tool" seems to upload the entire model in once. 

Some of the Components uploaded in crysis3


Not all of the components are updated correctly, I articulated some of the problems by going through layers in SketchUp and Crysis. 

Half of the components are missing from the entire model. 

The list of components uploaded from SketchUp.


There some components went under "playgroup". 


Texture: 

I have noticed that the texture makes the significant difference in the presentation. So I did some research on how to create the texture realistic in Crysis. I did some tests by following video tutorials.  Further research should be done but the texture became reasonably realistic by adjusting the material editor.




 The one on the left is the texture from material folder in Crysis, my custom texture on the right. 









No comments:

Post a Comment